The Windows Update Error 0x80070003 is one of the issues which trouble the users the most. This appears when the users make an attempt to install the Windows updates on their systems.
Now, this happens during the time when the computer system has incorrect settings of the date and time.
Furthermore, the error can also arise when the temporary folder of Windows update is faulty or corrupt. And on noticing the problem, the users tend to rush into the solutions.
But, that is not a correct method, since there exists certain importance on knowing a little bit about the error itself. Also, the causes can help accelerate the process of troubleshooting.
Moreover, there are plenty of errors associated with Windows Update. Some put a halt to the installation session. While others tend to crash during the process. And this brings up plenty of error codes.
However, make sure to stick to the underlying section which holds effective solutions to treat the error code 0x80070003.
Also, make sure to be careful while implementing the steps.
Effective Solutions to Treat the Error of Windows Update
There are plenty of solutions for treating the annoying update error. But, we presented only the ones which are the most effective and following which will only save your time.
However, stick through the underlying procedures in order to treat the error properly.
Method 1: Check the Date and Time Settings
Let us begin with the one which is the major reason for the error code 0x80070003 to appear. Doing this makes you begin with the basic checks and inspection:
- Firstly, ensure that the settings of date and time of the computer are correct. For this, click on the Date and Time present in the lower right corner of the screen.
- A window opens up where you must click on the option of Change date and time settings.
- Then, hit the Change date and time option in order to ensure that you set the Date/Time/Year correctly in your system.
- After that, proceed to Change time zone in order to ensure you are in the correct and proper time zone.
- Restart the computer system and make an attempt to update the system.
In case the issue persists, proceed to the successive method.
Also, you can employ the expert assistance of a technical professional who can solve the problem without any hassle.
Method 2: Remove the Windows Update Installation Files
Firstly, stop the Windows Update service. And in order to do this, there are certain essential steps. Hence, follow the underlying dedicated steps to do it:
- Press and hold the Windows key and also the “R” button on the keyboard in unison. Now, this brings up the Run dialog box. Therein, type the command “services.msc” and then press the Enter button.
- Then, search for the Windows Update service and then do a right click on it and then, click on the option to Stop. Next, you must rename the folder of Windows Update.
- In order to do this, launch the My Computer application and then, navigate to the folder “C:\Windows”. Therein, locate the SoftwareDistribution file and right-click on it. Then, choose to rename it.
- Next, rename the folder of SoftwareDistribution to SoftwareDistributionOLD and then hit the Enter button. This fetches a UAC warning to which you must press the option only to continue to the successive step.
If the steps here did not bring about the changes that you desire, make sure to head to the next method. That is sure to solve all your problems without any hassle. Also, the option to consult an expert is always open. Take their assistance in order to troubleshoot the error 0x80070003 in a seamless manner.
Method 3: Run the Windows Update Troubleshooter
Windows systems arrive with plenty of tools which can be used for troubleshooting errors. One of them is the Windows Update Troubleshooter:
Run it in order to treat the error completely. To do this stick through the underlying steps.
- Head to the Start menu and in the search bar, type Windows Update Troubleshooter. From the results, hover your cursor on the first one and right-click on it. Then, choose the Run as administrator option.
- Now, you will be prompted to which you must click on Yes. Then, follow the instructions present on-screen in order to initiate the troubleshooting session.
- When the process is over, the troubleshooter succeeds in detecting the virus or the faulty element which induces this error. Also, it treats the problem and attempts to discard it completely.
This method is sure to resolve the error code 0x80070003 with convenience and also with a lot less hassle.
But, if the scenario isn’t as appealing, then the successive procedure is another effective alternative that can troubleshoot the annoying issue.
Furthermore, you can always opt for a technical expert who can ease your troubles with their expert assistance.
Method 4: Restart or Stop the Windows Update Service
In this procedure, we suggest you restart the Windows update service. For this, stick through the underlying dedicated steps:
- Head to the Start menu and then on the search bar, type Control Panel. From the results, select and launch it.
- Therein, in the search of the Control Panel window, type “Administrative tools”. This brings up the result.
- Click on the Administrative Tools and then proceed to select the feature of Services. And in that list, you must proceed to search for the Windows Update.
- Next, right-click on the Windows Update that comes up with the search. And from the menu, click on Restart.
- After that, proceed to Reboot the system. Doing this makes the changes effective.
This method is effective enough to treat the error 0x80070003 with convenience. But, at times, this too fails.
And during those times of crisis, the other remaining procedures are there to treat the annoying issue comprehensively.
Moreover, expert technical guidance can guide you and resolve your complaints.
Method 5: Run DISM
This is yet another effective method which is directed to restore the earlier smooth functioning of your system.
In order to run the DISM, make sure to stick through the underlying steps which we present underneath:
- Firstly, press and hold the Windows button and the “X” key in unison.
- Now, from the menu which appears, proceed to right-click on the Command Prompt option. And from the options, opt for the Run as administrator.
- Therein, type in the command: “Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth” and then hit the Enter button.
- This would probably take 10 minutes for the session to complete. And once done, proceed to Reboot the Windows system.
Now, after the system Restarts, make sure to check if the error code 0x80070003 is gone. With the proper implementation of this procedure, one can easily treat the issue.
However, if the issue lingers and keeps on hindering the update process, make sure to proceed to the next method.
Expert help can ease you from the trouble completely and without wasting any time. Therefore, you can always refer to this option.
Method 6: Delete the DataStore folder
Following this procedure can be very effective in treating the problem. However, for this, make sure to adhere to the underlying dedicated steps:
- Launch the File Explorer. And then, do a double-click in order to go to the C: drive.
- Therein, head to the Windows folder in order to open it. And then search for the folder of the SoftwareDistribution to double click on it.
- Locate the DataStore folder which is present there in order to open it. Then, delete the files as well as the folders which are there in the DataStore folder.
- After that, head to the SoftwareDistribution folder and then locate the Download folder and double-click on it to launch it.
- Delete all the files which are there in the folder of Download. Then, proceed to Reboot the Windows system and initiate the process of Update.
- Then, in the Control Panel, search for the Administrative Tools and in there, proceed to select the Services feature. Therein, locate the Windows Update service present in the list.
- Right-click on it and select the option to Start.
Finally, when it is done, check if the Windows Update error 0x80070003 is still there or not. Most probably, the problem goes away and doesn’t appear again.
In this way, you can solve any problem that you encounter. Simply read the basics of the error and the causes which induce it. And then, half the process becomes known.
That is because you’d then know where to look into for treating a problem. However, make sure to implement these steps with care. But, if no result shows up, you can seek the expert guidance of a professional.
But, we encourage the users to treat every problem on their own. This saves them from spending a fortune on repairing an issue.
When nothing works, only then can you consult expert guidance. They can solve the issue without any hassle and resume the otherwise normal functioning of the system.