Error 0x80004005 is an unspecified error that occurs while deleting, extracting, and renaming the folders in the File Explorer.
Usually, an error message appears stating that “An unexpected error is keeping you from renaming (or copying or deleting) the folder” indicating this error.
Moreover, if the system files are corrupted or missing, you might come across this error. Sometimes, the third-party security software or Windows firewall can also lead to this error. However, you can resolve the error with some easy tricks.
Effective Methods to Resolve Error 0x80004005:
In this section, we are going to provide some easy and effective methods to resolve the error 0x80004005 on your device. Therefore, follow and implement them as instructed below:
Method 1 – Run the System File Checker Tool
Due to the corrupted system files, the error code 0x80004005 might pop up on the device. Therefore, by using the System File Checker tool, repair those files on the device. To do that, follow these steps:
- Press the Windows key and X button together to launch the WinX menu list and then, choose the Command Prompt(Admin).
- Type SFC/scannow in the Command Prompt window and then, press the Enter key.
- It will take a few seconds to finish.
- After finishing it, restart your Windows PC r and then, check if it solves the glitch or not.
Method 2 – Run the DISM Tool
If the System File Checker tool does not help you out then, you can try out to run the DISM tool on your Windows 10 device. Then, perform the following steps:
- Open the Command Prompt window.
- Type DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth in the Command Prompt window and then, press the Enter key.
- After executing this command, reboot the device and then check if the error code still persists or not.
Method 3 – Turn Off the Windows Defender Firewall
Sometimes, the Windows Defender Firewall can restrict you from extracting Zipped files. So, you should disable the Windows Firewall at the earliest. Below are certain steps that you can try:
- Hit the Start button and then select the Control Panel.
- Go to the Windows Firewall section and then, click on the Turn Windows Firewall On and Off option.
- After that, tick the box next to the Turn Off Windows Firewall option from both Private Network Settings and Public Network Settings sections. Then, click on the Save changes option.
- Once you are done, check if the Windows Defender firewall is triggering the error or not.
Method 4 – Remove the Third-Party Security Software
The third-party security software is often the reason behind the error code 0x80004005. Therefore, remove the security software from the device at the earliest. Hence, let’s take a look at the steps hereunder:
- Go to the Control Panel window and then, double-click on the Programs & Features section.
- Look for the third-party security software, select it and then click on the Uninstall option.
- Once the uninstallation process is finished, reboot your computer.
Method 5 – Perform a Clean Boot
Performing a clean boot can also help you to resolve this error code on your computer. To know more about it, follow these steps hereunder:
- Press the Start key and R button together to open the Run dialog box.
- Type msconfig and then select the OK option or press the Enter button.
- When the System Configuration window opens, navigate to the General tab and then, click on the Selective startup button.
- Then, untick the box next to the Load startup items option.
- Thereafter, mark on the box next to the Use original boot configuration and Load system services buttons.
- Next, go to the Services tab and then, mark on the Hide all Microsoft services box. After that, click on the Disable all button.
- Now, click on the Apply button and then the OK option to save the changes.
- After doing this, close the System Configuration window and then reboot the computer.
Method 6 – Re-registering jscript.dll and vbscript.dll
Another effective method is to re-registering jscript.dll and vbscript.dll. Now, follow these instructions:
- Press the Win + X keys at the same time to open the WinX menu list and then, choose the Command Prompt (Admin).
- When the Command Prompt window opens, type the commands one by one and then, press the Enter key after typing each.
- regsvr32 jscript.dll
- regsvr32 vbscript.dll
- Once these are executed, restart the Windows 10 device.
Method 7 – Delete the Registry Key
Removing the registry key can be an effective fix for the error code 0x80004005 on the system. Hence, follow these instructions:
- Right-click on the Start icon and then, select the Run option.
- Type Regedit and then hit the Enter key or click on the OK button.
- When you are in the Registry Editor window, navigate to the following paths
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers
- “C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\VirtualBox.exe”=”DISABLEUSERCALLBACKEXCEPTION”
- If these keys are there then, delete it and check if the error still arises or not.
Method 8 – Run the Windows Troubleshooter
Running the Windows troubleshooter can also help you eliminate the error code 0x80004005 on the device. In order to solve this issue,
- First, hit the Start button and then click on the Settings icon.
- When you are in the Settings window, navigate to the Update & Security section.
- After that, select the Troubleshoot tab on the left panel.
- Scroll down the page and locate the Windows troubleshooter, select it and then click on the Run the troubleshooter option.
- Once the task is complete, restart the device.
These are the methods in which you will be able to get rid of the “error 0x80004005” on the device.