Microsoft regularly launches security updates to patch security holes and resolve various bugs related to the new version of Windows. This update refreshes the Windows OS with the new features and improvements.
But, a certain number of people often report that they have encountered Windows update error 0X80070057 while installing the new version of it.
According to the users, corrupted Windows update components, installation failed of the previous update, damaged system files are equally responsible for this annoying situation.
So, if you are encountering this error message frequently, perform the below-mentioned solutions accurately.
Windows Update Error Code 0X80070057: Let’s Fix It
There are three variants of this error code such as ‘Incorrect Parameter 0x80070057 Error’, ‘Windows Update 0x80070057 Error Code’ and ‘Microsoft Office 0x80070057 Error’.
To eliminate the error code, perform the steps mentioned below and apply them accordingly.
Configure Automatic Updates:
While encountering the error 0X80070057, re-configure the automatic updates. To do so,
#1. First, press the Windows + R key to launch the Run window. Next, type ‘gpedit.msc’ in the Run box and hit the Enter button. Now, you will move to the ‘Local Group Policy Editor’ section.
#2. Thereafter, locate the ‘Computer Configuration’ option and double-click on it. Next, tap on the ‘Administrative Templates’ folder.
#3. Again double-click on it and due to this, open up the ‘Windows Components’ folder. Launch the ‘Windows Update’ folder under this section
#4. Thereafter, locate the ‘Configure Automatic Updates’ file and check whether it is checked or not. If it is not set to ‘Not Configured’ then, click on the Start button.
#5. Now, type ‘cmd’ in the search bar and right-click on the Run as Administrator option from the drop-down menu.
#6. In the Command box , type “gpupdate /force” and hit the Enter button.
Once done with these steps, reboot the system and check whether the error code 0X80070057 still persists or not. Otherwise, we have also included some other methods too.
Run the Windows Update Troubleshooter:
In case you are looking for a reliable and quick solution to get rid of this situation then, you can go through these steps.
Try to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter which is a built-in Windows tool that scans and repairs Windows update components.
Hence, go through the steps described to apply them accordingly.
- First, press the Start button and then move to the Settings section. Now, select the Update & Security section.
- Thereafter, choose the Troubleshoot option under the Update & Security option. Finally, click on the Windows Update option.
- After that, try to launch the Windows Update Troubleshooter tool on your device. It will then automatically start to scan your device and locate any unwanted Windows Update components.
After doing so, restart the system and check whether the problem gets fixed.
Download the Updated Version of Servicing Stack Update(SSU):
A few people have reported that they update the SSU which is Servicing Stack Update and resolve the problem. Hence, you can also perform this method in order to eradicate the error code. Here’s how,
Check what version of OS that you are using on your device whether it is 32 bit or 64 bit. To check that, move to the Settings section and then, choose the System option. Now, select the About option. Here you will find all the details about the Windows OS.
Thereafter, visit the official website of Microsoft and download the latest version of the SSU which must be compatible with your device. After doing so, restart the system and try to install the new version of Windows. At last, see the status of the error code.
Reset Windows Update Components
Sometimes, simply by resetting the Windows Update Components, you can easily resolve the problem. Hence, try this once and check if the error code is resolved or not.
- First, launch the Run window by pressing the Windows + R key together. Next, type ‘cmd’ in the Run window. Then, right-click on the cmd icon and choose ‘Run as Administrator’ option.
- Now, enter the following commands one by one and hit the Enter key every time.
- net stop bits
- net stop wuauserv
- net stop appidsvc
- net stop cryptsvc
- Wait for a while and then start them again by entering the following commands in the Command box. Don’t forget to press the Enter button each time.
- net start bits
- net start wuauserv
- net start appidsvc
- net start cryptsvc
At last, restart the system and see if the error code still persists.
Run DISM Tool:
As we already mentioned in the early section that the error code 0X80070057 might appear due to the corrupted or damaged system files. Hence, repair or delete them you can use the DISM tool. Now,
- Launch the Command Prompt window as an Administrator. Thereafter, enter the following commands and hit the Enter button each time to execute them.
- Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
- Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
- Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
- After that, close all the tabs and check the status of the error code.
Run an SFC Scan:
If the DISM tool failed to delete all the corrupted files then, you can run the SFC tool to delete them. This is also a Windows built-in tool. To run this, perform these steps.
- Open up the Command Prompt window as an Administrator. Then, type ‘sfc/scannow’ in the Command box. Then, hit the Enter key and now this tool started to scan your device automatically.
- After scanning the device, delete the corrupted system files and restart the system. We hope after applying these, you will no longer get this error code again.
Turn Off the Third-Party Antivirus Software:
If above all mentioned methods fail to eliminate the error code then, the reason is probably due to the third-party antivirus software.
Hence, turn off the third-party antivirus software in order to resolve the problem. Perform these steps to do so.
- First of all, locate the antivirus software from your desktop and double-click on it to launch it on your device.
- Thereafter, move to the Settings section. Now, disable the antivirus software by using the toggle switch.
Once you have turned off the antivirus software, you will no longer get any error code while installing the updated Windows version.
Undoubtedly, these are the best solutions to resolve the Windows update error 0X80070057. You do not have to apply all the steps. Simply read on all the steps and then choose the method which one is convenient for you.