While accessing any programs or applications on your Windows device, you might come across ‘the application was unable to start correctly’ error message along with the ‘0XC0000142’ error code.
The error code is generally caused due to the corruption of the program files that you are trying to launch on your device. Sometimes, the problem might appear especially when you are trying to run the cmd.exe file which is the DOS emulator program. Apart from that, corrupted system files, a conflict between the programs or applications might also lead you in this situation.
However, this is not so difficult to resolve the problem. Hence, apply these methods and eliminate the error code on your own.
How to Resolve the Application Was Unable to Start Correctly 0XC0000142?
In case you are frequently encountering the same error code, then without wasting any time, apply these methods.
Reboot the Device:
Whenever you encounter this error code, simply restart your device. Sometimes, just by doing this, one can easily resolve the problem. This is a very simple process.
Hence, simply press the Start button and then, expand the arrow which is along with the Shut Down menu. Now, choose the Restart option from the drop-down menu.
Then, unplug all the power cables and wait for a minute. After that, connect the power cord and turn on the computer. Now, try to open the same application or program which you have opened before restarting the system and check if the error code still appears or not.
Run the Application in Compatibility Mode
The next solution is to run the application in compatibility mode and always try to start the application as an administrator. Therefore, walk through the steps mentioned below.
- First, right-click on the file that shows the application error 0XC0000142. Therefore, click on the Properties option and then, move to the Compatibility section.
- After that, click on the “Run Compatibility Troubleshooter” when asked. Then, click on the test program option and due to this, a window will open up with the recommended settings.
- If the application runs successfully, then OK otherwise, close the application and click on the Next option. Then, choose the Yes option and save the settings for this program. In case, the program does not run properly then, click on the cancel button.
- A new pop up window will appear, click on the Run this program in Compatibility Mode.
- Therefore, run the program as an administrator and click on the checkbox option. After that, press the OK button to apply the changes. At last, try to run the application and check if the error code still persists or not.
Repair Corrupted System Files:
Sometimes, you might encounter the error code due to the damaged system files. Hence, you need to repair them or delete them from your device.
To do so, you can run the SFC tool. This is an in-built tool for Windows. To run this tool,
- First, press the Start button and type ‘cmd’ in the search bar. Now, right-click on the ‘cmd’ icon and select the Run as an Administrator option from the drop-down menu to launch the Command Prompt as an admin.
- Thereafter, type ‘sfc/scannow’ in the Command window and then hit the Enter key. Due to this, the SFC will open up and start to scan your device.
- It will then take some time to scan your device. When the scanning process gets completed, it will automatically delete the corrupted system files.
Once done, restart the system and check if the problem is fixed.
A certain number of people often reported that they encounter the error code due to the corrupted DLL files. Hence, use Regedit.exe in order to delete them. Hence, changing the value of the LoadAppinit_dlls key to 0 is a trick to solve the issue. To change this, go through the steps mentioned in the section below.
- First, press the Windows + R key to launch the Run window and then, type ‘regedit.exe’ in the Run box and hit the Enter button.
- Now, navigate to the following path,
- Thereafter, locate the LoadAppinit_dll in that section. You will then get this from the right-panel of the system screen. Now, modify the value of its to 0. Next, click on the OK button to apply the changes.
After changing the value of the LoadAppinit_dll, restart the system. At last, check the status of the error code 0XC0000142
Turn Off Antivirus Software:
Sometimes, a third-party antivirus software might lead you in this situation. Hence, turn off the antivirus software and then, try to launch the program. Now, check if you are still encountering the error code that you encounter before turning off the antivirus software.
Follow the steps mentioned below.
- Launch the antivirus software on your device and then, move to the Settings section. Now, head over to the ‘Disable the Antivirus’ option.
- Using the toggle switch, you can disable the antivirus software. Now, try to open the program to check if it is opening or not.
Changing System Locale:
It is necessary to select the right region for Windows. There are certain applications, they are not opening if you did not select the wrong region. Hence, you need to check that. Now, walk through the steps that are stated below:
- Click on the Windows + S key and ‘control panel’ in the search bar. Then, choose the program from the list.
- Thereafter, click on the ‘View’ option and choose the ‘Small Icons’ from the drop-down menu.
- After that, move to the Regions and choose the Administrative section.
- Now, tap on the Change System Locate option and head over the Current System Locale from the drop-down menu.
- Finally, choose your region and then, click on the OK button.
At last, check whether the problem gets resolved or not.
Changing Command Prompt Configuration:
If above all the processes are not able to resolve the error 0XC0000142, then check whether the Command Prompt settings are configured properly or not. If not then, the error code is caused by this problem. Hence, change the Command Prompt configuration. Here is how,
- First, launch the Run window by pressing the Windows + R key. Now, type ‘cmd’ in the Run window and press the Enter button.
- After that, type the following command in the Command box and hit the Enter key.
for %i in (%windir%\system32\*.ocx) do regsvr32.exe /s %i
- Wait until the process gets finished and restart the system. After doing these steps, we hope you no longer get the same error code again.
Undoubtedly, these are the best methods to help you to resolve ‘The Application Was Unable To Start Correctly 0XC0000142’. Read all the methods and then apply them according to your preference.