Windows users often report viewing an error code 0xC0000005 while trying to open a program on their device. Basically the error restricts the program to launch normally. You can quit the pop-up window just by clicking the Close sign on the window.
The error can take place due to some built-in tools on Windows, as well. The error code comes up with an additional message: the application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000005).
Let’s find out how you can eradicate the error, efficiently.
How to Fix the 0xc0000005 Error Code?
There are mainly three causes that can lead to such an issue. One is the installation error of Windows. The second one is the access violation error like corrupt drivers, damaged RAM, malware attack, etc. The third and last reason is the failure or incompatibility of the program itself.
If you have recognized the reason then you can use the methods listed below to fix the problem.
Fix 1: Check the Status of RAM
If you are repeatedly noticing the 0xc00000005 error on your Windows device, this is the first thing you should do. Go through the simple guidelines to fix the error.
- Switch off your Windows device. Then, replace the RAM with another RAM.
- You may swap the RAMs and restart the system.
- Additionally, you can run a memory diagnostic test on the RAM.
Now, check if the issue has resolved. If not, then move on to other fixes.
Fix 2: Scan the System
As we have mentioned that this issue can take place due to a malware attack on your device. It is advised that you should initiate a scan on your computer to eliminate any potential threats.
Use the instructions as mentioned below to perform a system scan.
- Type ‘virus’ on the Search bar of your Windows device.
- Next, you have to choose the “Virus and Threat Protection” option among all other results.
- Opt for the Advanced Scan option from the window named “Virus and Threat Protection”.
- After that, select the box next to Full Scan and click the Scan Now option.
Wait a while until the scanning is complete. In addition to this, you can use any third-party antivirus app to prevent such malware and virus attacks on your devices.
Fix 3: Disable Antivirus
You can check this simple hack to get rid of the error code 0xc0000005. If you have installed any third-party antivirus application on your device, you can simply disable it.
Then, you can verify if you can notice the same error by opening the same problematic program. Otherwise, you have to deactivate the Windows Defender Firewall on the Windows device.
We don’t recommend this fix to be applied for a long time. This fix increases the risk of virus and malware attacks on your computer.
Fix 4: Use the Registry
This kind of error can easily take place due to corrupted registry values. If you have tried all the fixes mentioned above and haven’t found a proper solution, then you may try this one.
You need to be careful enough, especially when the fix is related to the registry. Observe and perform the steps as mentioned below to recover the device from the error.
- Press Win+R keys to open a Run dialog box. Type ‘regedit’ and click the OK button.
- Locate the: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Windows\AppInit_Dlls.
- You have to double-click on the LoadAppInit_DLLs. Alter the value of 1 to 0.
- After that, click the OK button.
Quit the window of the Registry Editor. Reboot the device and try launching the problematic program.
Fix 5: Disable DEP
DEP is a built-in system memory protection feature. It helps to protect the system from viruses and other security threats. Well, you can encounter the 0xc0000005 error due to the incompatibility of some programs associated with DEP.
Thus, you can simply turn off the feature by using the following steps.
- Make sure that you have logged in to the device as the administrator.
- Open a Run dialog box. Type ‘sysdm.cpl’ and press the Enter key.
- Navigate to the tab named Advanced. Opt for the Settings option.
- Go to the Data Execution Protection tab. Choose the ‘Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select’ option. Click the Add button to add in all the executable files of other programs.
Finally, press the OK button and restart the device.
Fix 6: Perform SFC Scan
SFC scan helps to fix all the corrupted files on your device so that you don’t have to face such issues. Implement the following steps to achieve the task.
- Tap the Windows key. Type ‘cmd’ in the search box.
- Right-click on the Command Prompt option and select the ‘Run as administrator’ option.
- Type the following command: ‘sfc/scannow’. Press Enter.
Don’t interrupt the scanning. Reboot the system when the scanning completes. Check if the error is still present.
Fix 7: Update or Reinstall Disk Drivers
The error can occur due to outdated or damaged disk drivers. Follow the basic guidelines below to overcome the error, easily.
- Explore the Device Manager and locate the disk drivers. After that, double-click on them.
- Right-click on those drives where the programs are present. Opt for the Update option.
- Check if the error disappears. If not, then you can uninstall and then reinstall the drivers on your device.
Hopefully, the guide was sufficient enough to help you deal with the 0xc0000005 error. If none of the fixes are working for you, perform a System Restore operation to eliminate such hassles in the near future.